It is funny how all the little bumps in the road condition you to where the bigger ones feel smooth. We started out pursuing adoption of a healthy girl from China. Found out that wasn't happening any time soon. Moved on to looking into a special needs adoption from China, but the wait was still very very long. We switched to Kazakhstan, after we decided that we figured out that we could try to travel to a region close to the capital that wouldn't require much in country travel. As the process slowed down, Kazakhstan stopped allowing gender selection, and things got darker, we began to question whether Kaz would happen at all. Now we sit, ready to go to Semey (the ends of the earth in Kazakhstan). It is one of the coldest places you can go, at the coldest time of year, with stressful difficult travel for my white knuckle flyer self. Yet somehow, after all we have gone through, the travel seems like a minor thing to just get past. We will get there safely, we will bring our daughter home, and we will work out the child care for the boys while we are gone. I have claimed many verses over the last few weeks, but the one that keeps coming back to me right now is this:
Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. I will say to the north, `Give them up!' and to the south, `Do not hold them back.' Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth. Isaiah 43: 5-6
Tutikpost
10 years ago
Thanks so much for the blog invite! I can't wait to 'cheer you on' during your trip! Don't worry about the flight to Semey. You'll be so jet-lagged and out of it that you'll sleep through the 2 hour flight. Just wear warm clothing on the plane as the climate control isn't that great (my discomfort mainly came from the fact that they didn't run the A/C until we were in the air so it made it stifling hot!). Also - what the Russians left out in amenities they made up for in functionality. These planes are made to get in the air and stay there. I've lived in Russia and have taken several domestic flights there too and, while the planes look 'rough' they are built to last. Also, I'll email you the details, but on certain days there are slightly larger, more comfortable planes (with meal service!) making the trek. Finally, don't worry too much about the cold. Unfortunately they won't let you take the babies out in it so you'll be spending a lot of time in the bonding room (boring - take lots of toys!). But fortunately the LMI staff there won't let you walk anywhere so you'll be whisked from your over-heated apartment to your over-heated van and back!
ReplyDeleteI love the new look of the blog. I can't wait to come to the site and see "we got our LOI"!
ReplyDeleteLori