We let each of the boys pick a family night activity to do together. Liam wanted to play board games and the wii, Cade chose a day at the Adventure Science Museum, and Zane chose dinner and games at Chuckee Cheese. I know a lot of moms dis the mouse, but I gotta say- the pizza's not that bad and I love me some skee ball! Not to mention, at this point in time any dinner I don't have to cook is a good dinner to me.
Travel plans are pretty much all lined up. I'm back on the fence whether I should just man up and take the flight from Almaty to Semey to avoid the 23 hour train ride, or whether I will be huddled up in the fetal position on the snowy tarmac when I see the tiny soviet-era plane. There is only so much modern medication can do for my mental state. Now we are down to the hard packing decisions. I'm thinking that the pop tarts and books will win out over the clothing in the end.
4 more days!
Tutikpost
10 years ago
Ok, my opinion. Just take the plane. This whole thing has been a leap of faith, facing the unknown, taking risks. Those Soviet planes were made to keep flying. If you didn't face some of your fears, you wouldn't have made it this far so you might is well go for it and do it all out! When I see ya on the flip side, you can smack me for this comment! Read my blog, I faced some fears too. It feels good when you win!
ReplyDeleteShauna
I think you should just take the plane. The trip over is when to try it as you'll be so exhausted and jet lagged that you will very promptly fall asleep - no matter what the mood. Just dress warmly as there is no climate control (remember what I said before: what the Soviet planes lack in amenities (and decor), they make up in functionality!). Oh, and certainly take books (though I spent my evenings blogging and sorting through photos and didn't read much... oh, but we also had CNN) and lots of toys (you'll be happy you did!). I wish we didn't take as much food as we did though because you can get most everything you need there. Though I didn't see poptarts, they have Western cereals and their own instant oatmeal (in packets and sweetened with fruit) is out of this world good as is their national bread/rolls (I forget the name but they are great with peanut butter and jelly). We did see peanut butter in the stores but it was outrageously expensive so, if you eat the stuff, that is something to take. Also, you'll be happy to know that we got decent pizza there (both at the Korean place as well as Lady Pizza - at the former, avoid the veg pizza, at the latter, the chicken pizza was the favorite) although I'm sure it couldn't hold a stick to Chuck and some of the topping combinations were a little strange. Oh, and you can bowl (or shoot!) at the Chinese restaurant in Semey - how's THAT for entertainment!
ReplyDeleteFood and entertainment are the way to go. You can always buy more clothes over there but you can NOT find pop tarts or anything written in English.
ReplyDeleteSafe travels!
Lou Ann & Lexie too
For everyone reading this just remember
ReplyDeleteFEAR is False Expectations Appearing Real !!!!
And yes, seeing the Russian plane might seem a real FEAR but keep in mind who your co-pilot is!
God Bless and stay safe!
Stuart
My opinion...you have to do what makes you feel the most comfortable. You have had so many big decisions to make and emotions to deal with, if riding the train is what you need to feel at peace, I think you should do that. If you feel that you can overcome and handle the fear that comes with the plane,then you should do that. Both modes of transportation will get you to your daughter and that's what counts.
ReplyDeleteI am right there with you on the packing! The books and popcorn WILL go. Now I just have to figure out what stays! See you in Germany!
ReplyDeleteLori