Today it is VERY cold here in Semey. I think at last count it was -26 celsius. I don't know the official conversion, but it is cold enough that my glasses fog over and freeze if I try and wear them outside. We had a great visit this morning, then went to a bazaar which is kind of like a flea market. We bought some souveniers for the boys (sorry guys, you'll have to wait until we get home to find out what they are!). After that we had lunch at the pizza and korean food restaurant. We went with pizza this time, but we'll go back for korean. It was quite good. After that we went to a few more stores in search of Russian nesting dolls and got her a set. The koffeman is closed today (WAH!) so no high speed internet and we can't post pictures. Instead we came to the internet cafe, which is a kind of shady little room with broken folding chairs that smells like smoke. I'll be sanitizing my hands after touching this keyboard! It is interesting to type looking at a monitor that is older than my oldest child. The interpreter actually left us here for about an hour which is kind of scary, this is the first time we've been in public unattended. Chris has the cell phone at the ready if we have a problem. This afternoon we'll go back from 4-6, then stop at the market for a few supplies and home to crash. So far it looks like Chris is skipping out on the field trip some of the other guys are taking with our driver Pasha to the Bana, which is some kind of naked steam bath for men. Hopefully koffeman will be open tomorrow and we can post more pictures- she just gets cuter!
Okay, I'll stop complaining about the temperature in Green Bay too. -26 degrees celsius converts to -15 degrees farenheit. That is definitely very cold! No wonder the children have so many layers on! There were so many different things I could say about the trip to Bana, I decided to say nothing and smile to myself!
ReplyDeleteBrrrr! Except for perhaps freezing to death, don't worry too much about being left alone without translator. Everybody in Semey is pretty friendly and several seemed to want to practice their English. I think the big universities help this openness. If you can figure out how to resize your photos to small web size, you can easily post a few using the dial up connection in your apartment. I can't believe he's skipping the banya! I actually did this once while I was living in Russia and it involves beating each other on the backs with a branch of leaves and then jumping in the snow. So, maybe it was better that he stayed home. However, if Pasha offers to take you to the "woods" or for shashleek (shishkabob) - go for it as both were great!
ReplyDeleteOHHHH! Go to the banya! I used to love it when I lived in Russia. It's so relaxing and a very good way to thaw out from that COLD!! SHEESH!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Andrea