Thursday, December 25, 2008

Home again, home again, not so lickety split...

We made it home about 7 last night after a very long two days travel. Our coordinators picked us up at 1 am on Tuesday morning for our 4:30 am flight, so we had a few sleepy hours sitting in the Almaty airport. After that we had an uneventful flight to Frankfurt. We didn't have seat assignments to Chicago, and when we checked in we found out they were full, so poor us- they upgraded us to business class. We didn't sleep much on that flight because they kept serving us food and we were pathetically excited to eat. Our flight home from Chicago was delayed two hours waiting for the plane to come in from Memphis. The flight was originally scheduled for 1:30, we boarded at 3. After that, we got to spend 2 1/2 hours sitting on the runway at O'Hare while they had problems with the weight of the luggage, fuel overage, fuel underage, de-icing, and at one point I swear they said we were waiting for a magic unicorn. It was such a long day, but let me tell you- when I saw three smiling boys waiting at the airports with homemade signs and cards, it was all MORE than worth it.

Christmas morning was all the more special this year, just being together. We miss Keira so much already and can't wait to bring her into our zoo. Chris is napping now, so far I feel ok with the time change- I'm sure it will hit me at some point today. We are in the waiting game again, should be the last week in January or first week in February when we get to go get her.

2 comments:

  1. I just read your blog to Wes, and cried visualizing your boys' meeting you at the airport!! So glad you made it home for Christmas!! We laughed about the magic unicorn, too! I'm sure you were so delirious at that point! Hope your family had a great Christmas!
    Love,
    Sheryl and Wes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home and Merry Christmas! I just flew home from Chicago where I was visiting Grandma and Grandpa with our boy, Miras. And we were delayed an hour and a half also because of a myriad of reasons... United, sheesh! Just be happy that you weren't traveling with Keira yet... but based on our experience, Miras was so exhausted by then he slept wherever. Have a wonderful time with your boys and hope you can get back fast to bring Keira home.

    ReplyDelete